Zoning Administrator, Emma Posillico
Office Hours: Monday, 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Zoning Violation Complaint Process
Chester Township does not actively seek out “nuisance” type violations of the Zoning Ordinance such as junk cars or trash. However, if a case is brought to our attention we will investigate. If it is found that there is a violation, a letter will be written to the property owner making them aware of the ordinance requirements and asking that they correct the problem. If after 2 weeks the violation has not been taken care of, a second letter will be written. This will explain the final deadline for compliance at which time a citation may be written. If you would like to report a violation, you may do so by contacting the Township Office or by filing a written complaint form. These complaints may be made anonymously.
Zoning Enforcement Review
Residents wishing to contest a decision or opinion of the Zoning Administrator may request a zoning enforcement review. This process was put in place as a means of providing residents with further explanation of regulations or settlement of disagreements, but also to bring to the Board’s attention areas of the ordinance that may be ambiguous or in need of revision.
Primarily, there are 2 types of disagreements:
- The Zoning Administrator’s interpretation of the ordinance is in question, or
- The interpretation is correct, but the ordinance regulation is in question
This review is not required prior to application for a variance, but it could be helpful in deciding whether or not to proceed. Complainants who still wish may proceed to the Zoning Board of Appeals.
If you would like to request a review, please contact the Township Clerk. A meeting will be scheduled for you with two Township Board members to discuss your issue. Please understand that neither the Zoning Administrator nor the Township Board has the power to authorize a variance from the Zoning Ordinance. Only the Zoning Board of Appeals has that authority.
Duties of the Zoning Administrator
- Review and process all requests for zoning and building permits.
- Coordinate the presentation of all special use, land division and rezoning applications to the Planning Commission.
- Prepare informational packets and agendas for all Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals meetings.
- Coordinate amendments to the Zoning Ordinance as requested.
- Process complaints of ordinance violations according to Township policy.