Chester Township was formed by an act of the Michigan Legislature on March 11, 1848. John S. McClain drafted the petition to establish an independent township, named for one of his sons. The first meeting of the township electors was held in McClain’s home, with eleven electors choosing the first group of township officers: a Supervisor, Treasurer, Clerk, Highway Commissioner, Justices of the Peace, and Constables. The last three offices have been eliminated over the years, while two Trustees were added to the Township Board in 1973.
The electors at the first meeting were:
Irish, William A.
McClain, John S.
Despite signing a 99-year lease for a township hall on the corner of Gooding and 24th Avenue, the Board continued to meet in its members’ homes, at the Conklin bank, or at the creamery building. Office space for the township was built in 1993 as an addition to the old American Legion hall, and the current township office was completed in 2007.
$25 Payment for Building a Bridge, 1901
Sheriff’s Notice to Township Clerk, 1867
Bill for Labor from the Deputy Clerk, 1906
Township Board, 2004-08
1946 Township Budget
Original Township Hall (built 1879) in 2001
Original Township Hall Sign
Township Hall in 2001 (Former American Legion Hall)
Township Hall built 2007
Road Crew Grading Conklin St
Conklin Fire Department:
Bucket Brigade at Sehler & Main
First Conklin Fire Rig, 1920
1926 FD Pumper (tank removed)
Egbert Doane, Fire Chief 1920-62
1929 Township Fire District Resolution
2005 FD Pumper-Tanker