Treasurer, Dianne Berenbrock
Duties of the Treasurer
- Collects real and personal property taxes
- Keeps an account of township receipts (revenues) and expenditures
- Disburses township checks
- Deposits township revenues in approved depositories
- Invests township funds in approved investment vehicles
- Collects delinquent personal property tax
- Responsible for jeopardy assessments in collecting delinquent personal property tax
- Collects mobile home specific tax
- Administers and collects for all special assessment districts
- Member of township Elections Commission
- Must appoint a deputy
- Must post a surety bond
Millage Rates Spreadsheet
- Sewer billing and collection
- Building department management
- this spreadsheet will show what the millage rates are
for all collecting agencies and is sorted by school district.
Summer Tax Collection Dates
The summer tax bill is sent by July 1st and is payable July 1st through September
14th without penalty or interest. Beginning September 15th through February 28th, a 1% interest charge will be added.
Summer Tax Deferment
The law provides that beginning September 15th, a 1% interest be applied to unpaid summer taxes.
However, these taxes may be deferred without penalty until February 14th, for any
taxpayer who is a senior citizen, 65 years or older, totally and permanently disabled
or otherwise eligible, whose household income does not exceed $25,000 per year, or
is classified or used as agricultural real property and that the gross receipts
of agricultural or horticultural operations in the previous year is not less than the household income for the preceding calendar year. Applications must be
returned by September 14th. Click here for a
The winter tax
bill is sent by December 1st and is payable December 1st through February 14th without
penalty or interest. Beginning February 15th, a 3% penalty will be added. Beginning March 1st all real taxes must be paid at the County Treasurer.
A 4% administration fee and 1% interest per month is applied to the delinquent taxes
when paid at the county.
Please check to see if you are coded for a mortgage company on your tax bill.
If you have an escrow account and this tax bill is coded with a number in the box
marked “Bank Number” this means your mortgage company has requested a copy of
your tax bill, and we have provided an extra copy to them. If there is no number
in that box, your bill has not been sent to your mortgage company. Therefore,
enclose one copy of this tax bill with your next mortgage payment. Always verify
that your taxes were paid either by contacting your mortgage company or the township
to verify that the taxes have been paid.
are accepted only as conditional payment of taxes. If the check is not honored
by the bank, the tax is considered unpaid and will be restored to the tax roll without
further notice. A service charge may be applied to checks returned from the
bank. Failure to send or receive such notice shall not in any way prejudice
the right to collect or enforce the payment of any tax.
Chester Township will no longer be selling dog licenses for the county. These licenses can be obtained 2 separate ways:
1. By going online to Ottawa County Treasurer's website
. Once you are there, go to the Online Services portion on the left hand side and follow the appropriate links from there
2. By going to Ottawa County's Fillmore Complex and going through the process in person
Any questions you may have can be answered from Ottawa County Treasurer's website.